Source : Merwin Clayton Sales Company
|Source Title||Merwin-Clayton Sales Company|
Merwin-Clayton Sales Company
20-24 East 20th Street
Merwin-Clayton Sales Company was formed in 1904 by Andrew Merwin and George Clayton. Both had worked for Bangs & Co., the longest lasting book auction house of the 19th century, but when Bangs was sold to John Anderson (later Anderson Galleries), Merwin and Clayton set out on their own, providing spirited competition in New York for over a decade. Merwin's father, also Andrew, had been in partnership with the Bangs family. Among the many names that firm had over its lifetime from 1837-1903, it was known as Bangs, Merwin & Co. from 1858-1876. After the senior Mr. Merwin died, it was Bangs & Co. until it was sold. The younger Mr. Merwin was not a partner, but continued to work at Bangs & Co. as an auctioneer until he and Mr. Clayton broke away after the company's sale. Mr. Merwin died in 1909.
In 1912, the company's name was changed to Merwin Sales Company. It ceased doing business in 1917.
|Scope of Text||
All sales conducted under the name of Merwin-Clayton are listed in this database as Merwin Clayton Sales Company. Those sales conducted under the name of Merwin Sales are listed under the source name Merwin Sales Company.
|Total Records in AED||82024|